Sales and customer engagement needs a new approach in this customer centric age. BigJump asked me to be the speaker at events across Brisbane. These events were aimed at startups, lean business and entrepreneurs to help them understand the new rules of this game, and an approach that increases profitability.
During 2016 I collaborated with BigJump and their focus on Lean Business Strategies, for Start-ups and businesses generally.
During 2015 I had formulated the Profit by Design concepts in a clear and pragmatic methodology, a Two-Day Workshop and a 60 minute presentation to summarise.
We ran six events across different locations in Brisbane: The Microsoft Innovation Centre, Gravity Co-Working Space, The Edge at the State Library Queensland, River City Labs, Everyday Hero, and Fishburners Brisbane.
Each venue attracted a slightly different audience. From corporate types to start-ups, creative’s, small business owners and entrepreneurs. Interacting with such a broad and diverse group really helped to fine tune the concepts and ideas behind Profit by Design. As well as the presentation and delivery itself.
The Six Key Principles
There are six key principles behind Profit by Design.
- Revenue and profitability for any business comes from customers.
- Most businesses have a customer portfolio configuration that has 80% of profit coming from 20% of their customers .
- Organisations create these customer portfolios (that roughly follow Pareto’s 80/20 principle) through an obsessive focus on revenue or sales numbers. These businesses are mislead by the ‘eight-great traditions of sales’ that are a hang-over from the last century.
- Not all customers are equal.
- Engagement with customers should be about attracting and keeping your awesome customer.
- Customer engagement is not about closing sales but opening relationships with promoters of what you do.
Paul and Joeri from BIGJUMP have Profit by Design as feature n their website and were kind enough to provide me with this testimonial.
Mark Hocknell is an engaging public speaker who has spoken at 6 BIGJUMP events in the past 2 years.
Mark shares his experience as a business manager, academic and consultant and can connect with wide range of people. He bridges the occasional divide between business and academia with practical and actionable insights that leave the audience motivated.
The audiences at our events have understood Mark’s clear messages on the causes of many business challenges, and also his pragmatic approaches to resolve these challenges so they can create their own success.
Paul Davies and Joeri Timmermans, co-founders of BIGJUMP
You may also get value from these articles.
Learn more about the Profit by Design book here.